Senior Meal Delivery Services - Keeping Our Seniors Healthy
With the rapidly aging population in America, it's no secret that senior meal delivery services are in high demand. The question is - which is the best option for you?
A recent NPR article stats that, "according to some estimates, there are hundreds of thousands, maybe even a million seniors living in their own homes who are malnourished. In long-term care facilities, up to 50 percent may suffer from malnutrition. This leads to increases risk for illness, frailty and falls."
When meal preparation becomes too difficult, a host of health problems arise. Senior meal delivery services have the potential to assist seniors in eating healthy, nutritious meals.
Why More And More People Are Choosing A Meal Delivery Service
There are many reasons why people decide to start using a meal delivery service. Sometimes, people need help with meals out of necessity. Others choose to opt in to a meal delivery service because they enjoy the benefits.
Here are just a few reason why people may use a meal delivery service:
- Nutrition - When food prep becomes difficult, many seniors turn to packaged foods, which often offer poor health benefits, or simply stop eating. Meal services can offer healthy meal alternatives.
- Safety - For those with certain chronic diseases it can be unsafe to work near a hot stove, or challenging to carry heavy groceries and stand for long periods to chop and cook fresh ingredients.
- Time - Many older adults are caregiving for a spouse, parent, or loved one. With all of the other responsibilities in life, meal planning can suffer. In addition, others who have cooked meals for years simply enjoy the option to outsource the responsibility to someone else.
- Custom Diets - For a growing number of people in America, low-sodium, diabetic gluten-free meal options are necessary for health reasons. For others, tailoring around taste and sensitive digestion can make a huge difference.
- Affordability - Senior meal delivery services, because of economies of scale, can often offer a more affordable option to older adults who find themselves eating out at restaurants, buying carry out food, or purchasing frozen meals..
- Companionship - Not only is malnutrition a major issue with seniors, but so is loneliness. Senior meal delivery services have the opportunity to deliver more than just food. They can also deliver a friendly visit that provides a much needed human interaction.
- Delicious Food - This certainly will vary by service, but if you find the right company, you may just end up eating some of the best food you've ever had! Fresh and healthy ingredients make meals not only beautiful to look at, but delicious to eat!
Exploring Different Meal Service Options
If you or a loved you know have decided that help with meals is right for you, it's time to explore the best options. The market offers several solutions. Let's take a look at the different types meal services offered and explore the pros and cons of each.
I. Senior Centers
Senior centers have been around for a long time and offer an important role in our communities across the country. But, how are they for meals?
- Food usually is relatively affordable.
- Most communities have a senior center in their service area - be it at a church or another community center.
- For those who are mobile, senior centers offer a meeting place for visiting and companionship.
- Generally, food needs to be eaten at the center or picked up for carry out.
- Requires transportation
- Your menu is dictated for you. Generally, you have no input in food you like or need for a particular diet.
II. Mailed Meal Services
There are many types of mailed meal services where food can be delivered right to your door. MagicKitchen.com and Silver Cuisine by BistroMD are a few examples of these services.
- Convenience, you don't have to leave your home to get your meals.
- Many services offered, "chef-prepared" and nutritious options.
- Ability to order online or over the phone and shipped to your residence.
- Some meal delivery options like Blue Apron still require preparation at home, which can by physically challenging
- Meals must be stored for long periods, so they are made centrally and then frozen for shipping
- Meals delivered through the mail offer no companionship component.
- Feedback for your tastes and custom diet needs can be complicated, since communication is either over the phone or online.
- Generally, have to pay for shipping costs.
III. In-Home Meal Delivery
Perhaps the most well known senior meal delivery service is Meals on Wheels. And for good reason as they provide an incredible benefit to many older adults in America. Meals on Wheels programs originated in the United Kingdom during WWII when many people lost their homes and were unable to cook their own meals. Meals on Wheels programs generally offer very affordable meals delivered right to your door.
IV. In-Home Personal Chef
A final type of meal delivery program that more and more people are turning to is an in-home personal chef. Normally with this option, a chef does all of the grocery shopping, brings fresh ingredients with, cooks the meal and cleans up in the home.
- Taste preferences and diet needs can all be customized for each individual
- There is instant feedback to the chef
- Fresh, healthy ingredients ensure a higher level of nutrition
- Meals delivered right to your door
- Ingredients are fresh and never frozen, adding to the flavor
- Companionship and a friendly visit comes to you on a regular basis
- Chefs can offer feedback and updates of the senior's status to off site family members
- Some personal chef services can be more expensive than other meal delivery options.
- May be limited by service area.
Chefs For Seniors - The Best Option
What is Chefs For Seniors? We are a mission driven company with a goal to keep older adults in their homes through supporting both nutritional and social needs.
We host a network of a professional chefs who are all passionate about bringing fresh food into the lives of seniors at an affordable cost. Watch this 45 second overview video to get an idea of our in-home, personal chef meal delivery service.
Why Chefs For Seniors
Chefs For Seniors is a family owned and operated who love serving ohters. The company was founded by a father and son who saw a huge need for fresh, delicious and healthy meals that could be customized for each individual.
There are several reasons that it makes sense to choose Chefs For Seniors over other meal delivery services:
- Fresh - The food is always fresh, never frozen! Our vetted and professional chefs do the grocery shopping for you and use their years of cooking experience to select the best food items to make delicious meals right in your own home.
- Nutritious - We make balanced meals with healthy ingredients that provide plenty of nutritious benefits. More importantly, since it is designed around what you like, our clients tend to eat all the food we make.
- Affordable - Our scale allows us to keep are meal subscriptions affordable. Because we aren't a one man personal chef, we are able to pass on those savings to you.
- Custom - Because the chef gets to know you and your preferences, your meals will be customized to your tastes and your diet needs. Love tumeric? Great, we'll add it in. Have low-sodium or gluten-free diet concerns? No problem. A key advantage with Chefs For Seniors is that our chefs get to know you at a very detailed level and can create personalized menus that you'll enjoy.
- Companionship - We believe in food is good for the body and a friendly visit is good for the soul. Our chefs love visiting our customers, and our seniors look forward to the visit every week. With Chefs For Seniors, you get good food and good company!